Thursday, August 19, 2010

That's what it is like here

A couple of powerful quotes from a good man featured in People's District blog.



"I remember as a kid growing up in this city and seeing all of the rallies and protest marches around D.C. Mind you, I am 40 and have seen a lot of them in my lifetime. Most of them are the same. People get a permit to stand around for a few hours on a Saturday. They demand this and that. They leave trash on the ground and then they go get Starbucks or McDonald’s on their way home. To me, that was not the model of creating change in the world."

"All of my life, I have seen D.C. as a beautiful collage of injustices. Between poverty, AIDS, education, segregation, illiteracy, infant mortality and violence, these issues stem largely from our lack of statehood and taxation without representation."

No comments:

Post a Comment